Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Now.


I know that I have complained a time or two about how my biggest concern should not be cancer.
My biggest concern, at 24 years old, should be finding my dream job, gaining even more independence, and enjoying my 20's. Instead, well, you know what my life has been like since January. I could be bitter, I could be royally pissed off (and I am both sometimes! especially scan week!) but instead, I see this year as being both the worst and best year of my life.

Yes, the year I got diagnosed with stage III melanoma has been one of the best--most eye opening--years of my life. Because of my diagnosis, I stopped floating through life. I have a purpose now in a way that I did not have before. I am going to fight melanoma not only for myself, but I am going to fight for everyone it has taken from us. I am going to fight in terms of education, publicity, and personally, I am going to fight it from attacking my body. I did not have that purpose prior to January. I always admired people who stood up for themselves despite what others may say about them, but I never had a cause I felt so strongly about. Now I do. 

I have the courage. I have the belief. And I have the determination. 

You, Evil Melanoma, have consumed a lot of my time, energy, and happiness; however, you are leading me to be who I am meant to be.

4 comments:

mom2cuddlebugz said...

You go girl. My brother died from Melanoma 8 weeks ago today. This is my drive..to spread awareness of this dreaded disease that so many people think is just skin cancer, it can't kill you. We will get Black to be as well known as Pink!

Krystal said...

Thank you for sharing your story and promoting awarness! My husband found out he had Melanoma back in March of this year, but luckily it was caught pretty earlier and after surgery he is currently cancer free! It was the scariest thing we have had to go through. The amazing thing is when friends and family found out about it, most of them had no idea what it was... some even asked "How did you catch that?" It is sad that no one really knows how dangerous it can be!

Melanie said...

Wow! I found your blog address on my friend Tina's facebook page. I visit her page quite often to see her pictures again and to read her blog posts. I still have a hard time wrapping my head around the thought that she is really gone.

I started reading your blogs a couple of days ago starting from the very first one. I could not stop reading. I find myself thinking about you during the day wondering if your feeling well. You have the kind of tenacity it takes to live life to the fullest while battling such a terrible disease.

I will be praying for you that you have peace during before and after your next scans. I so admire your strength.

I was reading your blog the other night and my 7 year old daughter saw the pictures you have posted of your post surgery sites and she asked what happened. I briefly told her the story and told her skin cancer is why I always make sure she has sunscreen on before she and her brother go out and she got it.

All it takes is wonderful people like you to keep pushing melanoma awareness into the publics eyes and sooner than later melanoma will be the new "Pink".

Kayla said...

Good luck to you with your journey through the rest of your life.

I am a Melanoma survivor! If I can do it, you can do it :)