Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Girl Talk: Skin Care Version 2.0





Y'all know I'm a fan of sunscreen.
You also know I hate tanning beds.
When given the opportunity to participate in a link-up
that will possibly open the eyes of other young women,
you know I have to do it.

Plus, I can never turn down an opportunity for girl talk!

1) What's your daily skincare routine?
     I wash my face twice a day with Clearasil Daily Face Wash. My skin is super sensitive and it's the only face wash that doesn't cause me to break out in a rash. I've tried...trust me! ;-)  Depending on what my skin is doing that day--it goes from kind-of oily to dry--I apply DDF weightless defense oil-free hydrator that has SPF 45 and Ole Henrisken Total Truth eye creme. I fell in love with Ole Henrisken after the eye creme was included in the Skin Cancer Foundation's goodie bags at the gala!

2) A skin product you could never live without?
    Sunscreen. My doctors would probably personally kill me if I showed up in their offices with a sunburn! Oh, and face wash...I can't sleep until the make-up and yuckiness of the day is off my face!

3) Have you ever used a tanning bed?
   Yes, I loved being tan. I started tanning when I was 14 and continued to tan before all major events until I was 21. The last event I tanned for was my college graduation. When I met my oncologist for the first time he said I was not the typical melanoma patient. I have no family history, I have dark hair and dark eyes, and I do not have a history of bad sunburns. 

Then the convo went like this:
Oncologist: "Do/did you use tanning beds?"
Me: "Yes."
Oncologist: "Ah..."

Ironically, I stopped tanning at age 21 when I realized it wasn't worth the risks. Sadly, I had already done the damage and was diagnosed with stage 3 melanoma at age 23.

The Tanning Days

The Cancer Days


4) Thoughts on spray tanning?
    It isn't for me. Having said that, I would much rather my friends go get spray tanned than step foot in a tanning bed! I feel like going to get a spray tan after everything I have been through and will continue to go through for the rest of my life totally goes against the message I'm trying to share. Plus, haven't you heard, "Simply put, paleness equals class. And it's sexy."

5) Favorite brand on sunscreen?
   I'm a big fan of Aveeno. It's great for my sensitive skin!

6) Biggest skincare splure?
    I use Bare Minerals so I do splurge on that every few months. I don't mind spending money on quality products. I've been lucky that I've been able to try a lot of high priced items firsthand before actually purchasing them! I will definitely buy Ole Henriksen's Total Truth again and again!

7) Celebrity with the most perfect skin?
     Have you seen the celebrities lately? The majority of them have stunning-PALE-skin! 







8) Feature you're most self-conscious about?
   Probably my teeth! I can tell they are shifting!

9) What do you think about botox?
     I make 1030232 facial expressions per day.  already have laugh lines. They remind me of happy moments. Ask me again in 10 more years! Ha! 

10) I feel most confident when...
    I'm wearing a tiara! Duh!
             (Thanks, Rev. Carol!)

"Melanoma Survivor...
And I plan on staying one!"

   
I hope you'll link-up and share your skin care routines too!

9 comments:

Sheena Rae said...

I am planning on stopping tanning this spring after my membership runs out. It's hard. So proud of you!

Jennifer Childress Martin said...

Seriously almost spit my water out when I read the above comment.

Anyhow, thanks for another great post!!

Anonymous said...

Thank you for continuing to educate people on the dangers of tanning. To the person waiting for your tanning membership to run out before stopping- just stop now. Quitting tanning might be hard for you, but battling melanoma is harder.

Erin said...

Wow thank you for sharing your story in the link up! You have probably opened up a lot of naive minds about the use of tanning beds. I'm exactly the same in dark hair/eyes, rarely burn etc. so you definitely opened up my own.

Unknown said...

Adopting a daily routine and performing a daily routine are two different things. Your face not only wants to have a good routine but it is also necessary to strictly follow that routine on a daily basis. You need to choose very wisely when it comes to the selection of the products.

best make up remover for your skin

Anonymous said...

Your blog is awesome!
I wish there was a blog like yours out there when i was a teenager.

You rock girl!

Anonymous said...

I chose you for a Liebster Award. It's an award through bloggers. You can find out more details from my blog. it's www.cheatingonchocolate.wordpress.com

Mandi0280 said...

Always great to read your blog! Thanks for spreading spreading information on melanoma. My husband also has dark hair, eyes & no family history but did use tanning beds! So please, everyone, be careful!

Mandi0280 said...

Thanks so much for always spreading melanoma information. My husband also has brown hair and eyes & no family history! So nobody is safe! But he was always a tanning bed user!