Monday, January 28, 2013

The Skin Cancer Foundation VS MTV

I am sure you've seen clips of this (horrible) show. Maybe your teenagers watch it. Maybe you've curled up on your couch on a lazy Sunday and watched reruns of the show that promotes "Gym, Tan, Laundry." Maybe you're like me and have refused to suffer through an entire episode of a show that encourages trashy behavior.

*For the record, I'm not a prude. I just think these people act like pure scum bags.

Anyway, let me introduce you to the cast:


They have 3 priorities:
Gym
Tan 
Laundry


The Skin Cancer Foundation has made numerous attempts to convince MTV to include a message about the dangers of tanning before/during/after the episodes of their shows. In 2010 The Skin Cancer Foundation had an intervention with the cast of Jersey Shore on EXTRA where Snooki declared she did not want to die from skin cancer. (Sadly, Snooki must have already forgotten about the intervention because she is tanning and selling her own tanning lotion line now.) In September 2012, The Skin Cancer Foundation reached out again to executives at MTV and were unsuccessful.

If MTV thought The Skin Cancer Foundation would back down, they were very wrong.

According to The Skin Cancer Foundation's official press release , "...the organization requested that MTV include a warning with each episode and in conjunction with the sale of items and activities that promote tanning. MTV refused, prompting the Foundation to file a formal complaint with the F.T.C. in the hope that the Commission would require the use of such a warning." (http://www.skincancer.org/media-and-press/press-release-2013/jerseyshore)

While I have no idea if the F.T.C. will force MTV to include a message on the dangers of tanning, I do applaud The Skin Cancer Foundation for their determination in trying to educate viewers. I'm ashamed to admit that I've caught a few episodes of Teen Mom and have seen the "Safe Sex" ads that have been shown during the episodes. What's different about this? I realize the saying GTL brings in
a lot of money for MTV, but c'mon! 
I think it's safe to say that skin cancer and melanoma warriors around the world are so proud of The Skin Cancer Foundation for their efforts in promoting healthy skin! Way to go!

*If you feel like helping The Foundation, I encourage you to donate. These folks are great! Trust me, I know!

2 comments:

Sarah said...

You make a great point. I, too, have never seen the show (nor had the urge to), but it's just irresponsible not to talk about this. Their binge drinking and lewd behavior is a frequent topic of interest around Hollywood. Why wouldn't something as dangerous as tanning be included? I sincerely hope no one is emulating these idiots.

gayle said...

I have never endorsed reality TV, I think in general it encourages people to act like idiots, and then they are rewarded for acting ridiculous by getting attention.

But that's not your point here. :)

I totally agree with you, and I'm glad at least someone (the skin cancer foundation) cares enough about the general public to do the responsible thing.

In the same vein, I think people who work for and endorse tobacco companies are basically committing murder every day, and getting paid for it. Add people who own tanning salons, manufacture tanning equipment, and develop new tanning technology. NOTHING GOOD COMES FROM IT. NOTHING.