Sunday, July 29, 2012

A Little On Love




I was in bed this morning, slowly waking up, and searching for the motivation to get out of bed. In between dozing, I rolled over and looked at Mr. Spots peacefully sleeping. I started thinking about how much has changed in just the last year. This time last July I was temporarily staying with my parents, traveling to NYC once every 3 weeks for treatments, all while my live-in boyfriend was 7 hours away. Like you can expect of a new couple (or hell, any couple!), we were adjusting to living a life that went from enjoying that wonderful "falling in love" easiness to a life that suddenly included visits to oncologists and hospital stays. We had only known each other for 11 months when I was diagnosed. 

Statistically, we were doomed.

As I have blogged about previously, cancer challenges relationships of all kinds. Sadly, it has been known to end a lot of relationships. In our case melanoma caused us to hurt each other desperately. At the same time, it made our relationship the kind I don't want to live without.

I felt alone, he felt abandoned. We hurt each other. Then, only 2 long months later, on the 6 month anniversary of my diagnosis, we found our way back to one another. 


 Celebrating 6 month diagnosis
by riding roller coasters & the ferris wheel!
July 2011


I know--without question--those months apart opened our eyes and our hearts.


"We had to learn how to bend without the world caving in
I had to learn what I've got, and what I'm not
And who I am...
I won't give up on us (no I'm not giving up)
God knows I'm tough enough (I am tough, I am loved)
We've got a lot to learn (we're alive, we are loved)
God knows we're worth it (and we're worth it)."
--Jason Mraz
Watch the video here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O1-4u9W-bns

Once again, Jason Mraz gets it right.


What I've learned in the last year is that you must fight for what you want in this world. You can't run away just because you face challenges. Today--and every other day--I am thankful we found our way back to each other.





(OK, sorry for the sappy post! Have a great week!) 

No comments: