Monday, September 12, 2011

Thankful






I feel very thankful to have so many people--friends and strangers--who think of me, pray for me, and encourage me.

These pictures were sent to me this weekend from the Relay for Life at Nandua High School. To the families who thought of me, thank you. It was unexpected and very thoughtful of you.

Isn't it strange how a white bag with a candle & my name on it can mean so much? It is what it symbolizes....

Although thankful, it is a bit odd to see my name on the bag. I remember participating in Relay for Life a year after my Grand Daddy lost his fight against lung cancer. Seeing the people light the candles...oh my...even the memories gives me chills. Never did I imagine I would be the person who was being honored. I guess I always assumed I would be the one doing the honoring. We always think we are invincible... Seeing my name on those bags was a huge reality check. I do have cancer. I do have to continue to fight for my life. And I do fully plan on beating it! I don't want a bag that says "In Memory Of" any time soon.

My thoughts & prayers go out to the people who participated in the event on Saturday. I can honestly say I am not emotionally prepared to join in just yet. I remember how hard it was years ago! To those of you who were able to light your own candles, keep fighting. You are inspiration to us all.

Thank you. Thank you. Thank you.

No comments: