Tuesday, October 29, 2013

Options.

I'm baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaack from my wedding & honeymoon, friends!

And it was fabulous.


 Before I share too much with you, I need a huge favor.

Do you know anyone who lives in Virginia? If so, I need you to pass along this information.

The Joint Commission released information regarding indoor tanning and minors. They presented the most recent research, including the fact that melanoma is the second most common cancer in women between the ages of 20-29, and the third most common cancer in men between the ages of 20-29.

Now they have given us 3 options asking us how they should handle this new information:

Option 1: Take no action

Option 2: Introduce legislation prohibiting persons under the age of 15 years from using tanning devices at tanning facilities; and requiring a parent or legal guardian of unemancipated persons 15-17 years of age to provide written consent prior to allowing the minor to use a tanning device at a tanning facility.

Option 3: Introduce legislation prohibiting unemancipated persons under the age of 18 years from using a tanning device at a tanning facility.


Y'all know that option 1 is just not acceptable for me. We have too much research that proves the dangers of indoor tanning for teens to simply ignore it. I find that doing nothing with this information is lazy & irresponsible.

Option 2 still isn't good enough for me. Why? My mom loves my sisters and me more than anything in this world. That being said, back when we were kids, she signed those consent papers that allowed us to tan because none of us knew any better. We were not fully educated on the damage those coffin-like beds do to our young skin! Would she willingly approve something so harmful? No. And I know that she will always regret signing those consent papers. (Sadly, she's not the only parent with those same regrets.)

Option 3 is my pick. Virginia doesn't allow our teens to smoke. If tobacco is classified as the same carcinogen as UV rays, why is one outlawed, and the other is not?

I am BEGGING you to take the time to review this research and send in your opinion to sreid@jchc.virginia.gov.


Please, please, please don't miss out on an opportunity to let your voice be heard. I'm begging you.

Comments must be submitted by November 12th.

Please don't allow future teens, and their parents, to make the same poor decisions that we did.

Lots of love,

Mrs. Dawson!


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Chelsea,
Congratulations on your wedding! The photos look amazing. I live in melbourne, Australia and from 31st of December next year, all commercial tanning beds will be banned. To get to this point, it took the death of a young woman from melanoma, sustained public action and years of lobbying. I hope that this law can be passed in Virginia to avoid the same situation. I will be voicing my opinion to the Virginian Government in the hope that history doesn't repeat itself. Kind regards, Sonia from Sha-de.

Tücsök és Mucó said...

Hello Mr & Mrs Dawson!

Congratulations again! :)))