Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Boo, Susan G. Komen, BOO.

(This picture was taken on one of my many trips in 2011
to NYC during a Stand with Planned Parenthood
event.)

Warning: This post has nothing to do with melanoma; 
however, it does have to do with early detection.

As you have probably heard by now, the group with the famous pink ribbon, Susan G. Komen, has decided to end their relationship with Planned Parenthood. What does this mean? This means that Planned Parenthood will no longer be receiving hundreds of thousands of dollars in grants per year to assist with the price of mostly breast exams. 

In basic terms, this means that many women will no longer have the opportunity to receive breast exams due to their financial situations.

This. Infuriates. Me.

As a teenager and as an adult, I have been a patient of Planned Parenthood a handful of times. I had health insurance, which I used for the visits, but the hours of operation made it possible for me to receive my yearly exams and birth control prescriptions. Every visit that I have had, I left feeling like the gyno actually listened to me, examined me, and cared about my health. I am always grateful for the 6 pm appointments that allow me to stay healthy but not take even more time off from work.

According to NPR.Org, "Planned Parenthood says the move results from Komen bowing to pressure from anti-abortion activists. Komen says the key reason is that Planned Parenthood is under investigation in Congress — a probe launched by a conservative Republican who was urged to act by anti-abortion groups."

Here is my argument: Planned Parenthood is about so much more than abortions.  I realize abortions are a hot topic; however, what about all of the women they are putting in danger because of this one topic? I get it, it's a big topic, I am not trying to say that it is not, but cancer is a big topic too. Early detection could--and it does--save lives!

Patrick Hurd, CEO of Planned Parenthood of Southeastern Virginia, AND husband of a breast cancer warrior, made a great point in the article: "It sounds almost trite, going through this with Betsi, but cancer doesn't care if you're pro-choice, anti-choice, progressive, conservative. Victims of cancer could care less about people's politics."

Amen, Mr. Hurd, Amen. 


Oh, and in case you didn't read between the lines, I will no longer support Susan G. Komen in ANY type of way.

No comments: