Friday, January 13, 2012

Dr. Oz. vs Chelsea Handler

The media has the ability to make or break things. I mean, it is Coco Chanel's fault that tanning became popular in the first freaking place. The media has the ability to change the mind of every single person in one way or another. This is why I am pissed off at Dr. Oz and a little in love with Chelsea Handler.

Dr. Oz recently aired an episode that featured Dr. Joe Mercola. During the episode, Dr. Joe Mercola recommended UVB tanning beds as a source for Vitamin D. Dr. Oz played right along with it. "It's going to shock you all, so listen carefully!" I can't even describe this conversation...You all need to watch this. View clip here. Dr. Oz actually says, "I am re-thinking tanning beds." He does stress that he is not suggesting tanning beds for a tan, but for a health benefit for vitamin D. But still, how many people heard this and said "Finally! A doctor is finally admitting that tanning beds are safe!"

Like the warriors that we are, melanoma folks from all of the world attacked Dr. Oz for this clip. We posted on his website, we sent emails, we shared his link expressing our anger at such an idiotic thing for a doctor to suggest. Here we are, fighting for our lives, and a doctor is suggesting 3-5 minutes in the tanning booth. I guess the folks who work for Dr. Oz heard our anger. Today, Dr. Oz released this statement. that discusses how he believes no tan is a healthy tan. He says, boldly, " In am in no way recommending the use of tanning beds. No tanning bed is safe – avoid them entirely.

Interesting, Dr. Oz, because that is not what I assumed while watching your show.....


Yesterday I saw something in the media that made me smile and be proud that information is getting out that. Comedian Chelsea Handler had the super tan Pauly D from Jersey Shore on her show. During the interview Chelsea questions Pauly about his sunburn and tanning bed habits. She tells him that tanning is dangerous and that she does not want him to get cancer. He says something like "Thank you, I appreciate it" and she automatically responds, "No, you don't!" Chelsea blurts out that because of tanning bed use, chances for skin cancer rise to 75%. She is right, they do!

Chelsea says, "you know how bad the tanning booth is for you, right? Seriously, you need to get a spray tan. GIRLS, listen to me!" Pauly D, of course, uses the excuse that he gets his vitamin D from the tanning booth. Plus, he likes to feel the warmth from the tanning bed. She immediately responds, "Then you deserve cancer."

Ha!

Chelsea does not let her lecture end there though. Later on during the show, Chelsea says, "Girls love this show. This is me and my girls, that's why I'm telling my girls not to go tanning because I want to protect young girls. And they shouldn't go tan. You can get a spray tan. I mean, they don't smell great but they are a better alternative."

I knew I liked that Chelsea.



If you want to view some Truth about Vitamin D, view these sites: Black is the New PinkThe Skin Cancer FoundationMayoclinic.com

6 comments:

Jenny said...

She even commented again on it last night...I thought of you! :)

Paul said...

So how do we get Chelsea Handler to do a skin safety show during Melanoma Awareness month? I know it’s not her bag but she seems to get it at least.

Carolyn said...

We have a right to be outraged. You go girl!!!

Anonymous said...

Hi, I've be diagnosed with Vitamin D deficiency. This lead me to these mercola beds. I was shocked to see these beds as a "healthy" choice. It's very misleading. So what does a seriously deficient person do?

Anonymous said...

I'm in a Facebook group about supplements and there are many discussions about vitamin D, all of which refer to Mercola & how it's safe. I try to offer my advice, but they'll have none of it. I am respectful in my posts, and just posted a link to this blog. Thanks for your info!

Anonymous said...

The 75 percent figure is based on a review of a number of studies. The strongest such study was one that followed more than 100,000 women over eight years.

But, that study "found that less than three-tenths of 1 percent who tanned frequently developed melanoma while less than two-tenths of 1 percent who didn't tan developed melanoma." That's actually about a 55 percent increase, but when the study was pooled with others, the average was a 75 percent increase.

In other words, even if the risk of melanoma was 75 percent greater than two-tenths of one percent, rather than 55 percent greater, it would still be far below one percent.

Do a little research before you tout that 75% statistic.