Friday, March 25, 2011

A Lifetime of Friendship



"A real friend is one who walks in when the rest of the world walks out." ~unknown




For me, Chelsea has always been this person. While she is recooperating, I'm going to be selfish and take this time to tell you all about what a truly great friend she is. Some of you know Chelsea personally. Some readers are family, some are close friends, some are acquaintances. No matter who you are, we are all now a part of Team Chelsea. However, I just want to take a few lines to describe Chelsea the Person, not just Chelsea the Cancer Patient.




Here is a part of our story:




I met Chelsea in the fourth grade and what I didn't know what that she was going to be my own personal earth angel. A few weeks after the school year started, my dad died from a sudden, massive heart attack, which obviously shattered my 9 year old world. Chelsea, who was already wise beyond her years, comforted me during my grief and during the years to come. She would check on me on Father's Day and the anniversary of my dad's death, which were always hard days for me. As time went on, we learned that we really were best friends. Through the years, we have grown up together and experienced many of life's experiences and challenges together. We have learned how to have a difference of opinion without hurting our friendship, which is an important lesson for anyone to learn. No matter what else is going on in our separate lives, or how far apart we live, we are always there for each other when it matters most.




While Chelsea and I are incredibly close, I feel that credit is also due to the rest of her awesome support team. There are no words to describe how much her family loves her. They are truly amazing people and I am proud to know them. I recently met Mr. Spots and I must say, his sense of humor is going to be nothing but an asset to her recovery because he is a funny guy! Then there is the group of girls who love and adore Chelsea. I have seen girls stab each other in the back at the drop of a hat, but I must say that Chelsea has one of the best support systems I know. It comforts me to know that there is always someone around who genuinely cares.


After a long talk with Chelsea tonight, I felt like it was necessary to add this very "sappy" post to the blog because I am truly grateful for her friendship, especially after recent developments.


Here's my message to you: If you have one genuinely good friend, hold on tightly to that person. These special people are once-in-a-lifetime friends who are irreplaceable.


No comments: