Saturday, August 18, 2012

The Unexpected Invite

Have you ever opened an unsuspecting email only to get to the final paragraph, begin to squeal, and have your boyfriend look at you like you've lost your mind until you run over to him, force him to read the email, and then jump around the living room together? (OK, maybe I was the only one jumping. Sorry neighbors!)

That happened to me yesterday. See below.


"Separately, I wanted to discuss The Skin Cancer Foundation’s Annual Gala with you. It’s an annual event where Skin Sense Awards are given in recognition of exceptional achievement in skin health, including public education about sun protection and skin cancer prevention. This year’s event takes place Oct. 9 at the landmark Plaza Hotel in NYC. It features a cocktail reception followed by a program and seated dinner. Our honorees this year are Genentech and The PGA Tour, and we expect to announce a third (beauty-related) honoree shortly. Past honorees include Sephora, Maybelline, Bristol-Myers Squibb, StriVectin, the list goes on. Here is more info on the event from our website – www.skincancer.org/events. You should get a great feel for last year’s gala because there are a lot of pictures.
It’s a fabulous night featuring 400+ major players in the medical, beauty, retail and pharmaceutical industries. We also attract a nice guest list of celebs – last year’s gala was hosted by Katie Couric, for example, and celeb guests and performers from past years include Emmy Rossum, Sam Champion, Bernadette Peters, Meredith Vieira, Christie Brinkley and Julia Stiles.
A portion of this year’s program will cover young women and melanoma – and to that end, it would be our pleasure to invite you to attend the event. We’d additionally like to invite you to have a speaking role during the program. You have been such a tremendous help to our organization, and we would love to have you on board for this special event. If this interests you, I’m happy to go into more detail about what your participation would entail. I hope you have a fantastic weekend and hope to hear from you soon." 

Yes, I had to keep re-reading it.


I love my celebrity gossip, I know how major this event is especially for a little gal from Virginia who just wants to share awareness. I mean, look at the pictures from the past events!



"This is big stuff, kid." ~Mom

I am unbelievably honored that The Skin Cancer Foundation has extended this invite to me. I have truly enjoyed every moment working with them and their team. I honestly will never be able to repay them for allowing me to share my story.

Now---what in the heck am I going to wear...TO THE PLAZA?!!!

9 comments:

Erin said...

AWESOME!! What an amazing thing to be invited to. It would be even better of course if Melanoma could be erased from everyones lives but how cool that you'll be able to share your story. I must admit (even as a native New Yorker) every time I see the Plaza I want to go there. Have fun & I can't wait to check back for pictures in October.

Hope your having a happy & healthy weekend!! :)

Chelsea said...

Thank you so much, Erin! I'm really excited and honored! :-)

Kate said...

How wonderful! So excited for you!

Kisma said...

This is wonderful news and couldn't happen to a sweeter gal! Congrats! I look forward to hearing all about it in coming months:-)

Melissa S. said...

congratulations!!! that is so exciting!!! I'm so proud of you and everything you've done for the skin cancer community!

Anonymous said...

This is so very exciting and I am thrilled for you! Your experience, attitude and work to create more and more awareness and prevention is that of a true role model. Congrats and you go girl!!

Unknown said...

I am thrilled to hear about your great news. Your experience, attitude and committed work towards prevention and awareness about melanoma is truly that of a role model! You go girl!! Congrats!

sherene said...

Congratulations, we are so proud of you:)

Anonymous said...

Chelsea, we are SO looking forward to having you. xo
Carla